Monday 7 November 2011

Skirt- test run

You must've seen these in the blogisphere- I've seen them everywhere, Lotta Jansdotter's new fabric line for Windham Echo.  As soon as they came in at M is for Make, I knew I wanted some for a skirt and couldn't resist the fat 16th bundle, 12 little pieces from the whole line.  
This is the skirt, Cynthia Rowley for Simplicity 2215.  I plan to make the dress too, but the skirt will do for now.  Before I cut into the good stuff, I am being very well behaved and making a toile, a test run to check size and shape.  I tend to pick patterns based on how I would like to look, not on what always suits me- there is a high degree of wishing I was the sort of women who dressed like this or that, rather than what I really wear. 
If you are unsure about doing a pattern, I thoroughly recommend a look at Pattern Review.  I look at this site before I buy any pattern because you can always find someone else who has made it and read the highs and the lows.  It helps with sizing and also highlights potentially tricky areas- on this skirt there are pockets and a concealed zip both in the same side seam.  It helps to know such things in advance!  I made this on my new machine- named Florence as in Florence and the Machine.  The name followed a very funny conversation with Melinda who names not only her sewing machines, but her kitchen appliances too- I'll say no more, maybe she will elaborate but she cracked me up!  
I was very unsure when I was making this.  I don't usually wear my skirts so high.  I tend to wear very long low waisted skirts but I am a bit tired of hiding everything all the time so I fancied a change.  I also hate very close fitting clothes so I am making this with a bit of ease as it is quite a fitted shape
Apologies for the blurry photos, it was poor light and I was wobbling around.  I am happy with the test skirt, especially the pockets.
I am quite slim but also curvy and fullness around the waist can make me look rather plump but I think the shape works in this case.  It is hard to look at yourself objectively but this looks better than I thought it was and I threw it together very quickly.  You can just see the gap underneath my pocketed hand- hiding a big expanse of hip where the zipper would go- very attractive!
The hem is a lovely detail and when I make this on the real skirt I will show the process as it is not hard and adds a bit of weight and texture.  The very bottom of the hem is a raw edge and the lower crossweave threads will be removed to make a fringe.
Fancy making a skirt but want the help of others along the way?  Check out Anna's  Sew-a-long.  Fancy finding out more about dress making and using beautiful and feminine patterns, visit Florence's blog and read her review of the new Colette Sewing Handbook.  Tomorrow she interviews Sarai Mitnick, the founder of Colette.  Happy reading and happy sewing x
sib blog

25 comments:

  1. It looks like a great shape and length on you - can't wait to see the 'real' skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this skirt Kerry, the pockets are really good! And I like the details on the hem as well. Looking forward to see it in the lovely Lotta Jansdotter fabric, it's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hem detail. The skirt looks great on you and I look forward to seeing version #2. I am waiting to get my hands on some of that material. It's beautiful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're so good at clothes, Kerry! Your Lotta skirt will be amazing!! I just love Florence and the Machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to look amazing in the Lotta Jansdotter fabric! The hem detail is beautiful and the pockets are fantastic. A skirt with pockets is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, what a good idea to use this line for a skirt! I loved it when I saw previews, but didn't know if I'd be able to put it into a quilt in a way that would still show off how cool the prints are. :}

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really have a shape that can just about wear anything and pull it off. This is actually a very classic skirt and in the new fabrics will look stunning. I think the dress will look awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! That fabric line of Lotta is really wonderful and just today I was dreaming about it! I would be perfect for so many projects and your skirt and dress will be beautiful!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. We name our kitchen appliances and lots of other things. Is that wrong?

    Mike - as in Mixmaster Mike, the kitchenaid
    Tom - our GPS navigation device
    Melba - our car (she's green, not peach)
    Birdie - my Bernina

    Can't wait to see you move into the "good" fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how the skirt is looking! I made a Miz Mozelle dress on the weekend and I want my next one to be in the Lotta fabric. I can't decide on the navy with the bigger print or the soft green with the smaller fleck print - decisions decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The skirt looks fab on you, but totally distracted the entire time by thinking how bad it would look on me! Echo is a lovely collection and love M is for Make's Fat 16th bundles - great way to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kerry
    I Love the muslin you did - it is wonderful. It is a very lovely skirt!
    I just picked up the pattern for Anna's sew along and I'm excited to get started.
    Oh..... and my mannequin's name is Marge, Our house is Eleanor, our old beat up Toyota Corolla is Cody and I have yet to find the perfect name for my 1964 Singer Featherweight!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. The skirts looking great, and looking forward to seeing more details on that hem. I have (rather unimaginatively) named my sewing machines Big Brother and Baby Brother, and the overlocker is Big Brother's Little Brother. My manequin is Diana, but she came ready named...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice look for you! And it will look sooo good in that material, can't wait to see your magic :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job on the test run - I think it looks great. And those are AWESOME boots - please advise on how I can get a pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute skirt!! By the way, made the Winter Woolies on Saturday and was thrilled with the result - impressed the heck out of my mother and sister, too. :-) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The skirt looks great!
    We name nothing - even the kids toys only have names such as Teddy, Mousey and Dog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've got a figure that should never be hidden!!
    The skirt is lovely and suits you very well.
    I checked up on Florence + Machine and love her!
    Downloaded and ready for listeling while sewing = thanks VKB

    ReplyDelete
  19. The skirt is lovely. Both as pattern and as fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have to wear this one too!! Gorgeous! I love the detail and the high waist looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i also love the fabric line of lotta :-) great skirt !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. cuteness! it'll be great in lotta. and great tip on that pattern review site. oh and thanks for the linky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the skirt kerry! it will be amazing in lotta!

    ReplyDelete
  24. that skirt is fantastic!! i adore the pockets and i think higher waistbands are coming back into style. or is it just the post-baby pudge that has shifted me into buying mom pants? anyway, i also adore the hem. i don't think i'd like a fringe, but could that hem detail still look good with a regular finished edge?

    oh, and thanks for the mention for naming appliances :) Florence is an excellent name for your machine and i love seeing the other names in your comments here. i forgot to mention that our car is called "Yipyip" because she is an alien green and the aliens i think of first are the yip yip aliens from Sesame Street:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_jmwW2NUSI&list=PL9FEFA6D629D5EF5D&index=12&feature=plpp_video

    does your car have a name?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.