Thursday 9 May 2013

Rock and Roll

Melinda asked for 'Guitar' themed blocks in Ringo Pie back in October.  I am a little behind with my Ringo Pie blocks but I am working my way through the months slowly but surely.  I was challenged by Guitars. They are a tricky shape for paper piecing.  There is an excellent free pattern at Paper Panache which many other Ringo Pie members did wonderful versions of.  But no one had done an electric guitar.  Initially I wanted to do a Flying V but my heart and my rock and roll past took me back to a Gibson Les Paul Cherry sunburst (memories of Slash at Wembley many years ago, part of my rock chick past).
 I used the paper panache block as my base, blown up to a 12" block.  I tried CT publishings Simple Foundations Transluscent Vellum Paper for the first time and found it is great for tracing.  CT send me this and some Carol Doak foundation piecing paper to try.  I have bought Carol Doak's paper before- it is great stuff- lightweigt, good for printing on and strong but easy to tear and remove.  I couldn't really imagine piecing with the vellum but actually it is great stuff and would be my paper of preference of the ones I have tried.  It is strong and so easy to see through which makes fussy cutting much easier.  It removed easily- I use small stitches to make this easier- 1.6 on my machine.  For those outside USA, I've bought CT papers from Amazon and ebay before.
You can see the Les Paul shape over laid in the top of the original guitar pattern.  APigma pen writes very smoothly over the vellum.
It was a pleasure to finish this for Melinda.  She has made lovely blocks for me in Ringo Pie and Cocorico.  Her young son wants a guitar quilt and it looks well on the way.  Next, flowers for Marit...
sib blog

16 comments:

  1. This block is a triumph! Melinda must be delighted x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kerry, this is fantastic! Hb would love this, too - this would be amazing mug rug for men! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. That block is sooooooo excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fab, and thanks for the paper tips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Kerry, I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing paper piecing, as usual. Thanks very much for the paper tips. I have the Carol Doak paper but I would like to try the vellum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a cool block Kerry! Melinda's quilt is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Kerry! Can I ask what that brilliant background fabric is? It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just killer!!! Amazing background fabric choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! Looks good and the background fabric is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips on the paper and the insight into creating a pattern! I've dabbled but most of my designs are super simple…

    The block is 100% awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.