Monday 25 July 2016

Farmer's Wife Quilt Along, Blocks 87 and 88: Prudence and Rosemary

Another Monday and two new blocks in the Farmer's Wife quilt-along.  These are both quite time consuming blocks.  Number 87, Prudence(p.246, letter p.58) took me forever and I'm not sure the yellow on the larger triangle sections  works that well but I have no plans to repeat it!  Charise is guest blogging on this block and you can read all about Y seams and her approach to Prudence here.


Fabric Credits
Kona Buttercup
Kona Carnation
Ayumi Takahasi for Kokka, Lighthearted, Kitchen floral

Block 88, Rosemary (p.247, letter 104) takes a while to construct but it is well thought through with lots of nesting seam intersections when the sections are put together.


Fabric Credits
Kona Corn
Kona Melon
Heather Ross for Wyndham, Tiger Lily, brown butterflies
Darlene Zimmerman Mother's Melodies Chocolate spot

{For both blocks, I link to sponsor shops for fabric bought from them and elsewhere for other fabrics}


Rotary Cutting 
These are for foundation piecing so are cut larger than needed 
  • Yellow centre square: cut (1) 1¾" square
  • Yellow small squares: cut (4) 1 ⅜" square 
  • Yellow quarter square triangles: cut (1) 3" square; sub-cut each square into quarters along the diagonals to yield 4 QSTs
  • Brown butterflies A  1, B1, C1, D1: Cut (4) 1 ⅞" x 3 ¼" rectangles
  • Brown butterflies half square triangles: cut (4) 3 ¼" squares; sub-cut  each square in half along the diagonal to yield 8 HSTs
  • Melon half square triangles: cut (4) 3 ¼" squares; sub-cut  each square in half along the diagonal to yield 8 HSTs
  • Melon small rectangles: cut (8) 1 ¼" rectangles
  • Brown grid small rectangles: cut (8) 1 ¼" rectangles
  • Brown grid quarter square triangles: cut (2) 3" square; sub-cut each square into quarters along the diagonals to yield 8 QSTs
Top Tips for Foundation Piecing this Block
  • Pre cut all pieces
  • Use a water based glue stick e.g. Sewline, to stick the first piece of fabric on each section
  • Chain piece where possible;  there are lots of repeated sections
  • For F1, G1, H1 and E1, add a larger than needed triangle lining up the pint of the triangle with the centre seam between the first two sections. When you trim the new section to size use the paper on the rest of the sections as a guide line for your quilt ruler.  The 45 degree line should line up on the seam between the first two sections

I love how this block turned out,  I used some of my favourite fabrics and colours and I like the bird/plane shapes!

I've added two more nine-patch blocks  my collection, (you can see the original idea for this quilt in that link) 19 in total so far.


  • You can share your farmer's wife quilt blocks with the hashtags #fw1930sqal and for these blocks either #Prudenceblock or #Rosemaryblock as well as #fw87Prudence, #fw88Rosemary
  • If you want me to take a look at your blocks, tag me on Instagram, I'm @verykerryberry or comment here and paste in a link to your blog
  • There's a Flickr group you can add to here.  All my Farmer's Wife 1930s blocks can be seen in this album and my 9-patch blocks in this album. 
Jo Avery is back as a guest blogger next Monday.  See you next week x 
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Two lovely, but complicated, blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prudence was a nasty one, but I got it on the second try! I feel like there should be a medal or something!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.