Friday 20 January 2012

I Swoon, you Swoon, they Swoon, we all Swoon

At last I found a little window of time to make my first Swoon block.  All the support and inspiration you could even need is in Katy's Swoon Quilt A Long group on Flickr.  This project would never have started without it.
I have to be very disciplined to sew a big block like this successfully.  A series of assembly lines is needed, stacks of half square triangles waiting to be sewn.  I used a Frixion pen for all my lines and a walking foot for sewing the slippy sliding Little Folks voile
Pins are definitely needed with the voile.  Along the way I must have 'lost' a square here and a piece there a 100 times.
I enjoyed this a lot more than I ever imagined I would.  The block design is simple but very effective and is just what I was looking for with the Little Folks- I know many of you suggested Swoon when I asked what I should make with these fabrics.
Cutting does take ages but I am working only one block at a time so it is easily manageable.  It is a whopper, a mini quilt in itself, 24.5" x 24.5.  I am going for the full 9 blocks but slowly, slowly.

Pressing the seams open is worth the extra effort and made joining a lot easier.  The thiness of the voiles really helps and they have a lot of give, handy when I am trying to match up points.
I am actually bursting to make another but I I have promised my sister a quilt for her birthday, end of February so more Swooning will have to wait.
sib blog

20 comments:

  1. Ooh, that looks fab in the voile, and it will feel so lovely when it's all done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Kerry,I think this is the nicest Swoon I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful! I made a LF voile quilt a couple of years ago and it's my very favorite, so soft, although it was a complete pain to sew. You pinning technique is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. swooning indeed, it's gorgeous! What a beautiful quilt you'll have when all the blocks are done, can't wait to see the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looks really great! I agree, pressing the seams open on this one is well worth the extra effort. Too many intersecting seams to figure out a consistent way to press otherwise. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous kerry! I pressed my seams to the side on my first two and now open on the rest, it really makes a difference. It also makes me very aware that I am not a stickler for perfection. oh well, I am enjoying making them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got the pattern and I'm wanting to make it but have so many things before it to do. Kerry, you've picked lovely fabrics to make your Swoon! I know a few people who have made it or in the process of making it. It's such a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks perfect Kerry! Your quilt is going to be so wonderfully soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my, I love the Little Folks voile. I'm swooning for your quilt. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh this is going to be lovely. I am not Swooning it looks like something that I'd not complete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not participating in the Swoon quilt-along but BOY, do I ever love seeing everyone's blocks...

    I can't wait until I have time to break out the pattern and start my own...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well yours was always going to look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, that's cool. I was wondering if anyone in the quilting world was using the Frixion pen. I bought mine for writing, then was super excited to find out that I could also use it on fabrics! Neat. I love those pens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is gorgeous! love it! i wish it was february already so i could see more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's beautiful Kerry :) Just seen you won first prize in the Cloth magazine.... well done!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful! I've never worked with voile but you make it so appealing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks gorgeous & so different from a lot of the other swoon block...the voile seems to be well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, I am so impressed you did this with voiles, I haven't dared do it with ordinary fabrics yet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow -- I had no idea those Swoon blocks were so big, and yours came out beautifully! How big is the center square patch in the very middle? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.